Thursday, September 9, 2010

Confessions of an Addict


It all started one sunny day in March. A friend of mine invited me. I thought, 'Ah, what the heck, let's experience new things.' So I went along. I was surprised at how many people there were, and how loud the music was. Then this guy I'd never met before asked me to try it. 'It's the best thing ever. Just give it a go.' To this day, I still don't know why I said 'yes'.

But I did.


At first, it wasn't a big deal, my life went on as usual. All I needed was one hit a week. Then it just wasn't enough anymore. After a particularly large binge one weekend, I started going to parties where I could get it on weeknights. As time went by, even those didn't do enough for me. I started getting my own fixes at home, alone in my bedroom.

Gradually, I became more and more dependant on it. It took over my life completely. It became what I needed to get to sleep at night. Then what I needed to start the day. Then what I needed just to get through the day.

Now, 5 years on from that sunny day in March, my obsession is total. Everything I do, I do only to gain access to more of it. It has become the reason I get up in the morning, the reason I do anything at all. I crave it so strongly sometimes that it's difficult to do anything else. It consumes my every thought, my very being.

I am, wholly and completely, addicted.


And I couldn't be happier.


Hi, I'm Joey.
And I'm addicted to the presence of God.

No comments: