Saturday, December 19, 2009

The Spaces Between Us



Human connection is a delightful mystery.

Watch a pair of close friends, or a tight-knit family. Notice the glances exchanged in a moment of understanding, the subtle smiles and knowing looks, the unspoken yet obvious bond. Observe what can only be felt and not described, for there is often a quality in the air between them that is beyond words. There is beauty in such things.

Human connection is also a tricky, fickle business.

Connections once so simple and natural can in a moment turn into distance unscaleable by any amount of human effort. Humans are not exempt from the pervasive force of change. How do you re-capture what once was between two people when who they were no longer exist? How do you re-create what you cannot even describe, would not even have noticed but for its absence? How do you put in reverse motion the sands of time?

Human connection is at once an unspeakable joy and a frustrating ache.

This connection of which I speak is divine providence disguised as accidental encounter. It is the convergence of a million little things that mean nothing and, at the same time, everything. It cannot be possessed, cannot be guaranteed, cannot be created by honest hard work nor summoned at will. Like the spontaneous beauties of the natural world – an unexpected rainbow, a deer by the water – it can only be treasured in that moment, breathed into the soul, and then relinquished, its only remnants the enlargement of the space it once occupied.

In each precious moment of connection, thus, there is nothing but to breathe it in deeply, with no reservations; and in each new season that brings irrevocable change, nothing but to release it freely, with no regrets.


P.S. Don't worry, I'm not feeling more isolated or alienated than usual. I'm just thinkin' and talkin' here, 'cos that's what we do at blogger.com. Merry Christmas, folks!

P.P.S. I think we should say Merry Christmas all-year round. 'Cos it's never too early to be merry and there's never a bad time to be celebrating Jesus. Plus, no one knows exactly when Jesus was born so we should totally say it every day just to make sure we've got it covered, right? Right. Don't mind me, I talk to myself quite often. Do you really? Yes, yes I do..

2 comments:

Joanne said...

That's so true.
Words fail - too often, in fact.

And good talking to yourself!

Joey said...

Yeah maybe Derrida wasn't such a crack after all..

My brother's just discovered that I literally talk to myself.
He is amused. Heh.